Monday, February 24, 2014

Dollhouse Update

I've had a few blogger friends express their interest in seeing the progress of my dollhouse makeover. I usually don't like to show a project until I have it ALL done but this is going to take me a long time to find just the right stuff  and to decide what I want to do with the interior space. I want it to look like a late 1800 to early 1900 farm house. My inspiration is from the King Farm house and Rose Cottage from the Road to Avonlea series (a continuation of Anne of Green Gables) that aired on the Disney channel in the 1990's, it is a Canadian film. I have all 7 Seasons and my daughter and I watch them over and over. But anyway... back to the house!
Here is what I have done to it so far.
After some brightening up of the white trim, I added the gable brackets to all three gables, painted the shutters and a few rows of the fish scales beige and added a bay window.


Just in case you forgot what it looked like, here is the before photo. So as you can see, it isn't a lot different just a little different. I do plan on adding a base to it so I can buy some fun stuff for the yard.



 I added corner brackets to the porch.


I removed the lattice work from below the porch railing. Only this one side had been done that way anyway.
See the little washboard and soap laying by the door? I need to put it in a tub.


The glass in the windows had been broken out so I added the new glass (plastic actually) and did a little interior decorating.


On the inside I ripped out all the carpet and painted the ceilings white. I have decided to keep the wallpaper in these two rooms.


but I did remove the wallpaper in these other two rooms. And removed the stairs. Stairs can look nice but I feel like they take up too much room space so no stairs for this house. At least I don't think so.


Here is the house almost stripped bare with the stairs taken out...


and here it is with all hardwood floors and a little decorating. Still trying to decide what each room will be. I will divide the attic space into two spaces for sure, if not three.


So far my favorite room is the master bedroom. In the above photos this room is the one that had the duck wallpaper with green painted below the chair rail. I just love the new wallpaper, I think it gives the room a perfect Country Victorian look! The clock on the floor is waiting for a fireplace so it can grace its mantle. I'm not done with this room, there will still be more- a LOT more! :-)



This is the dresser that came with the house. I think it looks so good with the full tester bed.


This little room between the two bedrooms is the Library for now. Do farmhouses have Libraries? Hmmm....
But anyway, it will get new wallpaper. I assembled the little desk and chairs from a kit. Notice the cute little Yorkie under the chair. I guess Yorkie's aren't very "farmish" either are they? Hmmm...


For now I am using this bedroom as a sewing room/guest bedroom...


Downstairs is far from being completed but here is the kitchen. I made the little curtain rods and added the lace trim for the curtains. I do need to find a dry sink instead of that barrel. I really like the feel of a rocking chair in front of the fireplace but once I get more furniture for that room it may not work to keep it there, I'll just have to wait and see.


Pictured below is the parlor. I have big plans for it but I cannot find the right wallpaper. The parlor set is a set I bought at an antiques mall for $10, it is iron and looks to have some age to it but not sure how much. If I end up using it for this house I will paint it though.


The house is still right smack in the middle of the parlor but as you can see in the below photo, I did buy an antique desk to put it on once I get the house on its base with a turn table. I also will have to finish the desk, it had been stripped.


Well that is it for now. I will keep you updated on its progress as it goes. Thanks so much for stopping by and have a blessed day!

I am linking up to the following parties, please come join in the fun.
TUESDAYS AT OUR HOME with Maria Elena
INSPIRE ME TUESDAY with Marty
AMAZE ME MONDAY with Cindy
HISTORY AND HOME LINK with Dawn
HOME AND GARDEN with Kathy
TREASURE HUNT THURSDAY  with Pamela
HOME SWEET HOME with Sherry
SHOW AND TELL FRIDAY with Cindy

20 comments:

  1. This is adorable! You're doing a great job. I am partial to Yorkies (have one of my own) so I love that little touch.

    Tricia
    http://designandcanines.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I'm always eager to see your miniature projects. I love your special collections and transformations. That master bedroom is gorgeous. Love that rocking chair in the kitchen too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina,
    Now you know that i am loving this , don't you??? Great job but it is a tedious job and don't you feel like you need smaller fingers to work on this?? LOL!!
    As i looked at some of my photos of Nelson Crest, I realize that some i may need to give her another coat of paint as she is 6 years old now. But that may wait until I am retired because that may be quite a project. As i mentioned in my email, i used grass train paper for the base and she is on a turn table. We bought the turntable hardware at Lowes and screwed a board cut to the size of the round table she sits on to the turn table hard ware. This way, I can spin her around to show the inside ...

    hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely -- can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gina! Thanks so much for visiting me and leaving such sweet comments :) Your doll house is amazing! I think my favorite so far is the bedroom with the pink bows. I love all the details. I made a doll house for my daughter when she was six. I turns out that my beautiful girl was/is not much a doll person! I'm going to take it out of storage in a couple of weeks for my 6 year old niece who will be home on furlough from Uganda. I think she's going to love it! Have a blessed week, Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the updates you've made to the doll house! We bought a kit and put one together over the summer. The kids have a lot of fun with it, and I gave them my old furniture from the house I had when I was young. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your little darling doll house is going to be perfect like everything else you show us.
    I like the library in the farm house they were rich farmers and read a lot and the little Yorkie fits right in because the lady of the house wanted an inside dogie not
    a big farm dog in the mansion LOL
    It is fun gathering all the adorable items for a doll house I did that back in 1985 for my youngest daughter

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad that you listened to your readers, lol...and did not wait. This was SUCH a fun post to view!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it!!! It's beautiful!!!

    Blessings,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Gina,

    So nice to meet you!

    What a beautiful house! I can't believe the detail that has gone into its decorating. All the rooms are very pretty, and my favourite is also the master bedroom for its wallpaper, furniture and area rug! Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  11. How amazing !!! Wish that was the scale of the renovation I was in the middle of right now - instead of a full blown house lol -
    Love every single detail - and would love a full size version of it for me to live in acutally - beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Gina! Love it! Absolutely LOVE the dollhouse. You are doing a great job. Oh, please tell me how you are going to include a yard! How?

    This is going to be a piece of art when you finish. Anne of Green Gables would LOVE it, too. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is beautiful - such great detail. Thank you for sharing this. Gentle Joy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I could see where remodeling a beautiful doll house like yours could be very fun and addictive. I'd better steer clear of this, I could totally get into this! Yours is coming together to be just gorgeous. Thank you for sharing this at my History & Home link party, take care. Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Gina,
    Just wanted to pop in and say I'm home, home to the land of Green Gables. If ever you want any pictures of the inside or outside of GG let me know I have them. The house is coming along wonderfully, amazing what you have done. I wouldn't have been so brave to remove the staircase but great idea. Great find for only $10 and just wanted to add I found a fainting chair that I plan on setting close to my new oven in the summer kitchen, take care, have fun

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it and that it has a wrap around porch! And adore your wallpaper choices. Thanks for stopping by to visit. I will be back posting and reading in April!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Sweet Heart,
    It's all just too beautiful and you have done a wonderful job so far in restoring this lovely old house. I can tell it must be a labor of love.The outside is looking so good. Can't wait to see more.
    Blessings,
    Marie Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your doll house is coming along beautifully - wonderful decor and furniture! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your dollhouse is so big! I love the porch and all the details :) Thanks for sharing so much photos :)
    Hugs from Poland :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! A whole house makeover -- you have so much energy, Gina. Subtle changes to the exterior but the gingerbread trim adds so much charm. Looking good!

    Debra

    ReplyDelete